We hope this message finds you well. We wanted to take a moment to share some highlights from the first week of school and reminders.
Highlights from the First Week: We are thrilled to report that the first week of school has been a great success! Our students are settling into their routines and have shown enthusiasm for learning and participating in classroom activities. Here are a few highlights from the week:
1. Warm Welcome: Our teachers and staff worked diligently to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all students. It was heartwarming to witness new friendships forming and returning students reconnecting with their peers. It was even sweet to see a kindergarten class where half of the students were excited, and the other half of the students were sad that mom and dad did not stay with them. The teacher was able to get them to come around and they were excited as well.
2. Engaging Lessons: Teachers have already begun delivering engaging lessons that encourage critical thinking, creativity, and collaboration. During this first week I encountered students engaging in an Education Through Music activities, literacy development, and students preparing to learn in a science lab classes. Our teachers have much planned to support each students continued growth.
3. Safety Measures: Our top priority is the safety and well-being of our students. This week we encounter parents in hurry to drop off their children. As a reminder during drop-off and pick-up times, please be patient when doing so. Please follow the flow of the traffic and do not cut others off. We have asked Nevada County Sherriff’s and will be asking CHP to assist during these times. CHP has been in south county already ticketing cars speeding through the school zone. I urge all of us to remain safe while driving our vehicles around schools. Thank you!
Celebrations! We have much to celebrate at the beginning of this school year as our students did well on their annual CaASPP assessments. We did not meet our lofty Districtwide goal, but we saw growth with our students. Both Math and ELA scores improved compared to the prior years. We saw an increased average growth of 30 raw score points compared to the year before. Our current 6th graders saw the greatest overall average growth. Congratulation students and thank you parents for supporting their growth.
Upcoming Events and Important Dates: Looking ahead, we have several exciting events and important dates to mark on your calendars:
1. Back-to- School Nights: We invite you to join us during Back-to-School nights coming up this month. These evenings will provide you with insights into the curriculum, classroom routines, and our educational goals for the year. More information will be shared by your child’s school. Look for it in the weekly school updates.
2. Parent-Teacher Conferences: Parent-teacher conferences are scheduled for October 2-6. This will be an excellent opportunity to discuss your child's progress, strengths, and areas for growth. Details on how to sign up for a conference slot will be coming soon.
3. Volunteer Opportunities: We encourage parents who are interested in volunteering to get in touch with our Parent-Teacher Clubs (PTC). Each school site has an active group of parents who are integral in school culture and success of students. If you are interested in joining the PTC, please inquiry at your child’s school office or you can get more information under the parent tab on the school’s website. Your involvement makes a significant impact on our school community.
4. Open Lines of Communication: We believe that a strong partnership between home and school is crucial for our students' success. If you have any questions, concerns, or insights you'd like to share, please feel free to reach out to your child's teacher or the school’s administration. The school wants to know how we can better serve all students.
Another way we are going to keep you and the community up to date with weekly communication this school year is with School News (Edlio) app. The app is free, and you can download it from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
1. Look for the School News app and download.
2. Look for Pleasant Ridge Union School District or your child’s school. (Select)
3. The app will show the districts logo once loaded and you will get all news, alerts, and events from your
child’s school. (If you have children at multiple school sites you will be able to select the multiple sites to
get their updates.)
Thank you for entrusting us with your child's education. We look forward to a fantastic year of growth, learning, and memorable experiences.